Saturday, January 18, 2020

Hidden Bricks: more 26th/Kaufmann and a trip to Yacolt, WA

Friday I was driving by the old Hidden Brickyard, and I noticed that there was a whole different part of the Kaufmann property from Fourth Plain. It wasn't pouring rain, so of course, I had to stop and look around. Again, these were all taken from public spaces and DO NOT TRESPASS TO GEEK OUT OVER WEIRD STUFF.  


Crushed up bricks (rejects used for filler?) are unearthing themselves everywhere under the mud.


I was able to find the old blueprints to the 15th and Main brickyard at the historical museum but not a footprint of the newer factory grounds so it remains a bit mysterious.


I need a Go Go Gadget Ladder.

I really wish I could see in there a bit better as this looks like where the machinery was, during the actual molding process. I have no idea if the old machinery is still there or where it has ended up. So, I asked.

In the file at the historical library.

I have written a letter to the Hidden family asking where the equipment is, and if they would consider letting me have a closer look of the grounds... from the other side of the fence. 

It's basically a "Hail Mary" move, and I left out the part about my wild paranormal theory and stuck to my honest history geeking. You never know if you don't ask, right?


The tan building is a mini mart literally backed up to the Brickyard fence line.
I'd driven by this poor little tagged brick building a million times on my way to work and never looked twice at it.

I also discovered there was a fire here in 1982:



Another fun history footnote is that briefly, Santa Claus was receiving calls at the brickyard:



For Saturday's adventure we decided to go check out the Fargher Lakehouse Restaurant in Yacolt, WA (15519 NE Fargher Lake Hwy, Yacolt, WA 98675as they have an internal wall built with antique bricks.

Additionally, Yacolt itself proved to be interesting. I mean, look what the city's website says about what the name Yacolt even means:



Fargher Lake is north of Vancouver (about a 40 minute drive) and due East of La Center.


So we had lunch near the haunted valley of the demons surrounded by Hidden Bricks. I sat through an hour of country music in this place. That's how deep the brick obsession has gone. 


Welcome to the Fargher Lakehouse restaurant. It's in the middle of nowhere, unless you live out in the country and are going hunting.  They have vegan and gluten free options for those with dietary restrictions. Dave and the kid had amazing club sandwiches. Don't go eat here if you're in a hurry, but the food is excellent.

A wall of reclaimed antique bricks lines the restaurant.


Insanely huge portions.

As noted before, they have an internal wall made up of antique bricks from the area, most of them Hiddens. The drive out feels very "Sasquatchy" for lack of better word, it has a wildness and energy to it that makes it feel like anything could happen. 

One of the older dates in the wall.


The oldest date I saw was on a brick from a Portland Builder, 1872.

What we noticed right away is all of the employees were wearing shirts that declared Fargher Lake "Never Normal."

The Mercantile across the street.
The Lakehouse was mostly filled with senior citizens having lunch, with a couple of blue collar workers having drinks in the bar. This is definitely a locals only sort of bar. My dad would have loved this place.


It didn't feel haunted in the slightest. Just in case, I pulled some cards. Once again, the Oracle made me nearly choke: 

Silence. Yep, feels pretty non-liminal in here despite the bricks.

I talked to the server and she ended up asking ME about the bricks. She had no idea what Hidden even meant, but she was very interested to learn about Vancouver's history, turns out.



The employees there didn't know why Fargher Lake is called "Never Normal Since 1921." She said she assumed it was just because they are "redneck town" but advised the shirts were available at the Mercantile across the street and they would likely know why not being normal is a big deal there. 

Should say since 1977, but whatever, I had to have it.

The Mercantile itself is a typical small town store with a bit of literally everything inside - tools, clothes, groceries etc. They have a huge, reasonably priced merch line of mugs, hats, shirts, coasters:


Again, the ladies working in the Mercantile had no idea why Fargher Lake was "Never Normal since 1921." 

"Oh, I don't know, we're just not normal," one answered. "Huh, I don't actually know. You ever ask the boss? No? Huh." They both seemed a bit perplexed they hadn't thought about it before. 

I then decided to get real weird and asked them if they thought it was because there are rumors of Sasquatch in the area. Both laughed nervously at the city girl and wouldn't answer. 

Never Normal.
Behind the Mercantile I found the windmill they have logoed on to everything. 

Found the windmill behind the Mercantile.
It's beautiful and peaceful in the haunted valley. It almost seems a place beyond time. Everything is slower, here.



Well, turns out a quick websearch helps us figure out what is so abnormal about Fargher Lake:


The rest of the story and a photo gallery Here. Seems like a pretty cool guy and project. I just might go back to Fargher Lake and look around again. I know a great place to eat out there now.

Soon we will have a report from inside the Brickhouse Bar and Grill and the Providence Academy after an official tour.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting that no one knew why the town was Not Normal Since 1921. 🤔 (or not saying...) But I dig it & your shirt. Loving your adventure story. 🥰

    ReplyDelete